Categories:

Meet Mrs. Gordon- Battle

New Mental Health Counselor Joins Prep Campus
Mrs. Gordon-Battle joins us for the incoming 2024-2025 school year.

Worldwide, the importance of students’ mental health has increased. With this global shift in perspective, we welcome Belinda Gordon-Battle, our new Mental Health Counselor.

We sat down with the Assistant Head of School, Middle School, Mrs. Angeline Gonzalez, to find out the reason for this addition.

“Having someone whose expertise is in mental health just adds another component to our overall counseling department,” said Gonzalez. So now, apart from the school providing college and academic support, we have Mrs. Gordon-Battle to offer mental health services.

Mrs. Gordon-Battle attended Hampton University, where she obtained a bachelor’s in psychology. She then went to the University of Virginia for a Master’s Degree in Educational Psychology and Johns Hopkins University for a second Master’s Degree in Clinical Community Counseling. Mrs. Gordon-Battle is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor for the State of Florida.  She worked with students, parents, and administrators in various schools and organizations along the East Coast.

School academic and college counselors are vital in providing individualized guidance to help students create academic plans and navigate career choices. Nonetheless, students need more than just support with college applications; they need help addressing personal challenges.

“Sometimes I feel like I am overwhelmed by my classes and need extra support,” said junior Alexander Baquero. He likes the addition of a mental health counselor on campus because our school counselors specialize in college applications rather than personal conflicts. 

This is why a mental health counselor in school is essential; they have the professional ability to help students with anxieties, fears, and inner conflicts that students may be going through.  Gordon-Battle stressed the importance of her role in assisting students in developing self-awareness, responsible decision-making, social awareness, relationship skills, and self-management. 

Calming station in Mrs. Gordon-Battle’s room is perfect for clearing your mind.

Mrs. Gordon-Battle realized she wanted to be a therapist after an incident in her middle school where she noticed the lack of mental health support. Her counselor was unequipped to address and support the school’s needs, which left her surprised.

“That was fascinating because I thought that she was somebody who could do it, but she was a guidance counselor; she could help us move towards college and careers…but as far as mental health was concerned, she did not have that capacity,” said Gordon-Battle. 

Gordon-Battle has become part of a new wave of change for the faculty, students, and administration. They can now access mental health support anytime. Her office is on the second floor in the counselor’s wing, beside Ms. Carballo’s office. So, visit her whenever you need someone to talk to; she is here to support you, speak with you, and ensure you have the best experience in school possible.

Donate to The Riviera Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Riviera Preparatory School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.