Breaking News
  • April 26Happy Fri-YAY Bulldogs!!! Have an incredible weekend .....
The Student News Site of Riviera Preparatory School

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

New Year, New Wardrobe

A heads up on 2024’s newest fashion trends
Tira Halton
A combination of spring looks for 2024 fashion trends created on Canva.

Spring runway shows are already blooming, forming the best 2024 fashion trends. While you’re ringing in the new year, it’s time to elevate your personal style. In the world of fashion, trends evolve like seasons. Last year, maxi skirts made a bold statement on runways and in street style. Fast forward to this season, where non-basic basics take the spotlight with their timeless elements. We researched a few fashion magazines and websites, and this is what they had to say about the newest trends.

Quiet luxury is here to stay, which includes items like loafers, trench coats, trousers, and logo-free t-shirts. Fashion expert Emilia Petrarca, who writes the fashion Substack Shop Rat, stated, “I think if prices for luxury goods continue to remain as high as they currently are, we’ll see the ‘quiet luxury’ trend stick around for a bit longer. It’s just too expensive to take risks on pieces you might not like five or ten years later.” According to Petrarca, she believes that 2024 is headed for a year of colorful, vibrant clothing.

Other fashion experts are hoping to travel back even earlier than the 90’s. Jenny Walton, writer of Jenny Sais Quoi on Substack, stated, “I’ve been waiting to see if there will be a sort of 1920s resurgence, followed by a 1930s long silk bias cut dress resurgence. The only thing I’m focused on is how to get one of those flowing silk Prada dresses from the runway.”

After weeks of research and countless fashion articles, here are the most significant, and anticipated fashion trends of 2024.

Everything Sequined
First, there is a right and a wrong to sequin. Sequins, which are small, shiny disks, typically made of chiffon, have been shining bright on the runways. With this much sparkle, sequined clothes and accessories are expected to be everywhere in 2024. As classic as they are, sequins typically symbolize elegance and glamor. Along with its everlasting charm, sequin is where sophistication meets style.

A woman in a green sequin dress designed by FreePik, artist credit: Diana diana_mironenko

Basics That Aren’t Basic
Next, having timeless pieces is crucial when assembling a wardrobe. Having simplicity in your outfit gives you the opportunity to make a statement with accessories like jewelry and purses. But can we have basics that still have some personality? The answer is yes! The term “non-basic basics” comes into play when timeless pieces meet personality. We all have those pairs of jeans that are staples in our closet. To the eye, they may seem “basic,” but non-basic basics can include simple pieces such as a pair of jeans, a black long-sleeve, or cotton shirts that have a certain elevation to them, like jewels, buttons, or stripes.

A grey sweater with an elevated design and a striped silver midi skirt. Designed by FreePik, created by pvproductions

Bags in Different Sizes
In the past few years, purchasing tiny purses that hardly hold anything has been popular. Though fashion isn’t about functionality, the thought of shelling out over $1000 for a tiny, completely pointless bag bothers me. Nevertheless, the spring 2024 fashion shows promise a range of bag sizes that aren’t too big or too small. According to W Magazine, these include woven bags and buckets.

Woven bag that will look amazing on anyone’s shoulder. Designed by FreePik, created by lifeforstock.

Kitten Heels
In addition, with various brands, from Prada to Rachel Comey to Vivienne Westwood, kitten heels showcase the idea of tiny low-heeled shoes for the warmer weather, promising a walking-friendly year of fashionable shoes. Kitten heels, a spin-off stiletto heel, with a much shorter heel in the back, typically 2.5 to 5 centimeters.

A pair of black kitten heels will go perfectly with any outfit. Designed by FreePik, created by Göran Schmidt

Different Shades of Green
In 2023, I remember seeing lots of red. Whether it was bags, purses, clothing, or even accessories, last year was definitely the year of red. However, after looking at various fashion articles, the shade I see the most is green. It appears that fashion lovers are leaning towards the other side of the color wheel for 2024. Aya Kanai, the Head of Editorial and Creative for Shopping at Google, said she is always working with experts to gauge trends, and she is betting on different shades of green for 2024.

A perfect example of ways different shades of green pair together. Designed by FreePik, created by wayhomestudio

So whether it’s running errands in comfy loafers or going to dinner in kitten heels and sequined dresses, 2024 promises a more elevated style with muted hues and vibrant colors. Put away those tiny bags and upgrade to a more functional woven bucket bag, and if you’re feeling really brave, try a pair of shoes in any shade of green.  Even though we are a couple of months into 2024, it’s not too late to try something new and make it your own. This year gives you many options to step out of your comfort zone and add to your current style.