Breaking News
  • May 6Happy Monday Bulldogs!!! Remember to wear your IDs......
The Student News Site of Riviera Preparatory School

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

Tracking the 2024 MS Track Season

A deeper dive into the journey and goals of the middle school track and field team
Sebastian+Parra+flying+in+the+air+in+the+jump+event+while+being+cheered+on+by+Coach+Rizo.+
Susanah Lopez
Sebastian Parra flying in the air in the jump event while being cheered on by Coach Rizo.

Track and field is one of the many sports offered here at Riviera, and the middle schoolers were especially eager to start their spring season. Coaches Alejandra Rizo and Shana Wilson conducted tryouts on February 6, and the season ended last Tuesday, April 16, with the middle schoolers’ last championship meet at Palmer Trinity.

The team included thirty-two kids who attended all three meets at Palmer Trinity. Although the team did not place this season, they did make it to the championship meet, which was a first for our middle school team. According to Rizo, there was one focus this season, “Our biggest goal was just preparing them for what a meet looks like, preparing them for speed, preparing them for take-offs, preparing them for baton passing, which was a big one.” Rizo and Wilson have led these middle schoolers to master and enjoy the sport. Several of the team members came from the fall cross-country team. Most runners viewed the season as a continuation of their training and an opportunity to exercise. Practices were centered around building the team since it was their first year and breaking down events for the runners.

Four runners stand by the sidelines with their team manager, fueling up. (Susanah Lopez) Left to Right: Julia Lapides, Santiago Rodriguez, Mia Marley, Isabelle Perlman

When asked about the contributing factors to their final placement, Rizo said, “The majority of our students are sixth graders, and because we don’t have a track or the equipment for field events, we compete in relays and individual running events. We don’t have any field events, which is where we lose the most points in terms of not participating.” As a first-time coach, Rizo is proud of all her runners and saw significant growth in every one of them despite the results.

Next season, she wants to make sure the sixth graders, her best-performing grade, move up to the seventh-grade sport and take more of a leadership role. Many middle schoolers had such a great time that they were asking for an off-season. Unfortunately, Rizo says that is highly unlikely due to conflicting schedules.

Nonetheless, it was a great season, considering it surpassed last year by having the team reach the championship meet. The runners developed their skills, made special memories, and, most importantly, had lots of fun.