The Russo-Ukrainian War: What Is It and How Has It Developed?

Mia Durán, Copy Chief

With everything happening all at once, it’s difficult to understand the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.  In an effort to help our students get a full understanding of what is happening we created a simplified timeline of the major events between the two countries.

What’s been happening since then? Most recently on February 20, 2023, United States president Joe Biden visited Zelenkskyy to show his support for Ukraine. Biden says, “The United States has built a coalition of nations from the Atlantic to the Pacific to help defend Ukraine with unprecedented military, economic, and humanitarian support– and that support will endure.” Since then, the United State has sent $46.6 billion in military assistance and a total of $30.3 billion in humanitarian and financial aid. Though this is a great contribution, the need for Ukraine to fight back continues. On March 8, 2023, the first lady, Olena Zelenska, said “Children know what the tank is, but this illustrates just how much we need [Western weapons], because every child in Ukraine knows that we need more and we need faster.”

Unfortunately, there are limits to what individual people can do to help the residents of Ukraine. The only thing that we can do is work together to donate money or start a charity that donates money to Ukraine. This can help rebuild the victim’s lives and the buildings, such as the schools, hospitals, and places of worship, that were lost in the war. This is especially necessary considering the State Emergency Service of Ukraine’s recent statement that one-third of its territory is mined. We can also continue to post about the war on social media to spread information and hopefully find more ways to support Ukraine. To see more updates, visit the following credible sites:

Instagram: weareukraine.info

News sites: The Kyiv Independent, Ukrainian Pravda

The official website of Ukraine: war.ukraine.ua