Breaking News
  • April 26Happy Fri-YAY Bulldogs!!! Have an incredible weekend .....
The Student News Site of Riviera Preparatory School

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

Cross Country Triumph

Sabrina Martinez Shines in FHSAA District Championship
Yearbook Staff
Varsity cross-country team posing for a picture at the end of a game

Like many sports, cross-country pushes an athlete to their limit. Here, determination and endurance are not voluntary traits but are mandatory to be as successful as possible. Cross-country runners have to lace their shoes and throw themselves into an adrenaline-powered frenzy to see who takes the gold. This sport is known for its grueling distances, mental demands, and satisfaction of runners’ goals while fostering discipline.

Compared to other sports, cross-country seems more like an individual sport, unlike basketball or soccer, where the players work together. But Sabrina Martinez, a sophomore on the varsity girls’ cross country team, says that she believes that cross country is a mix of a team and individual sport. She explains that you run races alone but must advance to different levels as a team.

Varsity cross-country team discussing game with coach, AJ Ricketts. (Yearbook Staff)

In contrast to many sports, cross-country has limited external support, making the backing of family and friends crucial, especially before races. Sabrina shares that her family cheers her on before she races and helps her mentally prepare. Unsurprisingly, some of the most critical training is more psychological than anything else.

Cross-country demands exceptional cardiovascular endurance. Athletes engage in rigorous training programs, including long-distance runs and interval training, to build the stamina needed to sustain a fast pace over an extended period of time. For some, this level of training alone would be enough to keep them away from the sport. When asked what keeps an athlete in such a demanding sport, Sabrina said, “I personally like seeing improvement and how training affects my performance.”

The Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) District Championship was on November 2nd, and the pressure was on our cross-country runners. Sabrina Martinez finished 1st in districts, 2nd in regionals, and 17th overall in states.

Reflecting on the season, our athletic director, Courtney Young, was happy with the team’s overall performance. He has consistently supported the cross-country team and had high hopes for them. Undoubtedly, with all the training the runners put in, most people can agree that their hard work paid off.