Breaking News
  • May 17Happy Fri-YAY Bulldogs!!! Last day of school........See you for finals
The Student News Site of Riviera Preparatory School

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

Met Monday Recap

Take a deep dive into this year’s Met Gala looks and inspiration
Getty Images
The Met Gala is the absolute peak of fashion. Discover the style choices of your favorite celebrities and top names in the fashion industry.

Known by Vogue as “fashion’s biggest night out,” the Met Gala is an iconic event that brings together key industry figures, fashion, and entertainment. Held every year on the First Monday in May, this accumulation of creativity takes place at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Many don’t know that this nearly 80-year-old tradition benefits the museum funding the costume wing, specifically the collection and preservation of historical garments and pieces. Celebrities must pay around $75,000 for a ticket; however, many designers sponsor their seats at the dinner to market their Fashion House. Last year, the Met Gala raised about 22 million dollars honoring the late Karl Lagerfeld.

Nonetheless, it is easy to get lost in all the outfits and not quite grasp the overall vision. The theme stems from the Costume Institute’s exhibition of the previous year, which received approval from the one and only Anna Wintour, Vogue’s editor-in-chief. This year’s exhibit was entitled Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion. Curators added a unique element to this year’s display, a multisensory experience organized into earth, air, and water. 

Not to be confused with the exhibition’s theme, the 2024 dress code for the gala was “The Garden of Time.” Referring to J.G. Ballard’s story that follows the last days of a count and his wife who lived in a mystical Palladian villa surrounded by a garden, the haute couture exemplifies the magical and spatial complexity of the story. 

Each designer works with their chosen celebrity to create a product that references the theme and represents the brand and their material/style choices from this season. On this year’s carpet were manifestations of time running out through the artistic use of sand, clocks, and unfinished garments. Complementing the classic tales, like Sleeping Beauty, was the prevalence of natural color palettes, flora, fauna, and royal attire.

Below are some of last night’s hits per our editors next to Vogue’s:

Our Best Dressed:

1. Tyla in Balmain

This up-and-coming singer left our editors and the entire audience speechless. Balmain’s use of an hourglass to demonstrate the theme was absolutely genius. Her outfit even transformed into a mini dress for the after-party. (Getty Images)

2. Eiza González in Del Core

Wearing custom Del Core, González was the epitome of grace and elegance. It is easy to tell that the designers carefully and intricately put together her rose dress. Furthermore, she is rocking Cartier jewelry that blends perfectly with the carpet. (Getty Images)

3. Tyler Mitchell in Prada

This was definitely the male look that shocked us the most. The focus of the ensemble is the blouse, that ties in simplicity and use of color. Prada did a phenomenal job with this unisex top. (Getty Images)

4. Karlie Kloss in Swarovski

There is no doubt that this was made by Swarovski. From head-to-toe bedazzled in crystals, this was a show stopper. Using floral elements of a garden, this dress reflects Kloss’s inner beauty and confidence as well. (Getty Images)

5. Eddie Redmayne and Hannah Bagshawe in Steve O Smith

It has been a while since a couple’s outfit has produced such a  positive reaction from spectators. The matching and posing of these two makes you feel their love. The essence of chaos of time running out and fatal attraction from the story, “The Garden of Time”, impacts the viewer. (Getty Images)

Vogue’s Best Dressed:

1. Ayo Edebiri in Loewe

Making the top of Vogue’s Best Dressed list is Ayo Edebiri. The ombre effect of her dress is pure perfection. Her stylist nailed the use of floral materials in accord with tonight’s dress code. (Getty Images)

2. Bad Bunny in Maison Margiela

This Latin artist has become a fashion icon for many. Vogue praised his use of accessories and unfinished hems to symbolize the despair of death approaching. His choice of flowers as a prop even pays homage to his homeland, Puerto Rico, holding a “flor de maga”. (Getty Images)

3. Zendaya in Maison Margiela by John Galliano

Maison Margiela was a crowd-favorite this year. Leave it up to Zendaya to make a dramatic moment out of the Met. Her garden color scheme and exaggeration of fabric is peak fashion.

4. Lana del Rey in Alexander McQueen

Lana del Rey’s outfit was an unexpected look yesterday. While many celebrities went with flower choices, McQueen put her in an eccentric beige gown with roots seeming to protrude from her. It is no secret that del Rey loves a good headpiece, referencing her 2018 Met Gala look.

5. Emma Chamberlain in Jean Paul Gaultier

Closing out the list is one of last night’s hosts: Emma Chamberlain. Similar to Lana del Rey, her vibe is very woodsy and transports you to the outdoors. Her makeup and slicked-back hair adds to the spectacle and intention of the design. (Getty Images)