Breaking News
  • April 29Happy Monday Bulldogs!! Remember to wear your IDs...
The Student News Site of Riviera Preparatory School

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

The Riviera Press

Grammys or Scammys

The Grammys, created by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in 1957, is one of the four major entertainment awards ceremonies. Several A-listers have boycotted this event such as Drake, Zayn Malik, Justin Bieber, and Ariana Grande. Should viewers boycott the Grammys too?
Sofia Bordas
The photo references Emile Berliner’s gramophone in which the award show takes its name. Creator: David Becker | Credit: Getty Images for The Recording A Copyright: 2022 The Recording Academy

Most people dream of winning a shiny trophy in the future. Stereotypical recipients thank their significant others, family, co-workers, team, and the academy for providing the award during their speech. What if that academy was a fraud and winning that award was a scam? Would you still graciously accept your trophy? These questions have sparked a recent divide between celebrities, specifically musicians, as allegations have arrived about the prestigious award show, The Grammys.

Pros/Grammys:
There was an average of 16.9 million viewers of the award show this year, which is 34% higher than last year. This statistic demonstrates that there are a significant number of celebrities and people who still support the Grammys for it to reach this success. A rising star in country music perfectly summarized how crucial a Grammy is to a musician, “… just hearing my name and the word ‘Grammy’ in the same sentence would be a dream come true. I mean, that’s something you put on your tombstone,” said Morgan Wallen. One sophomore who is pro-Grammys is Katalina Kaminsky. Although she is not a musician, Kaminsky has grown up in the music world with her parents working in the industry. Kaminsky commented, “It’s my biggest passion and it is definitely what I want to do when I am older and work in the music industry as well.” When asked, Kaminsky shared that even though she does not have a favorite genre, that is part of the reason she loves watching all the categories at the Grammys.

This Year’s Winners

Recording Academy – “66th Annual GRAMMY Awards”. grammy.com. The Recording Academy.

Cons/Scammys:
On the other hand, many celebrities have actively spoken out against the academy with allegations of an unethical voting process. This controversy has recently made headlines when Taylor Swift pulled Lana del Rey towards the stage for her Album of the Year acceptance speech. Fans are furious that Lana Del Rey has been active in the music industry since 2005 and has never won a Grammy. Further snubs in the major categories include SZA and Olivia Rodrigo. Sophomore Sasha Kilgour attended the Guts World Tour this year and was shocked at this year’s Grammy winners. She commented, “It makes no sense to me why someone with such a popular and groundbreaking album is not getting any recognition.” These protests have resulted in bad marketing for the Grammys and sparked internal investigations throughout the Recording Academy about their nomination and voting process. In an on-tape interview with multiple news platforms like NBC News, CBS Mornings, and ABC News in 2020, former CEO of the Recording Academy, Deborah Dugan, claimed that the Recording Academy offered her millions of dollars (which she refused) in return for not speaking out. While on NBC News, Dugan put it, “It’s rigged”. Dugan uncovers that the nomination process occurs in a room with predominantly white men and individuals with business affiliations to specific artists, and the board can be easily swayed in some cases.

What once started as a coveted and intimate black-tie affair has transformed into a heated debate about morals and ethics. The entertainment industry is torn, and the audience does not know what to believe. Students like Kaminsky still tune in to the show and enjoy the event, while artists like the Weekend remain persistent and vocal. “The Grammys remain corrupt. You owe me, my fans, and the industry transparency…” wrote the Weekend on Twitter. Will the academy admit fault and change staff enough for this historic event to continue in the following years?

This article has many takeaways, but the most important is: Are you Pro, Grammys, or on the Con, Scammys side?